33 000 inhabitants
The name "Aranda" comes from the ancient language spoken by the pre-roman tribes who inhabited this land. Repopulated from the 10th century, the village lived a flourishing period under the rule of Enrique IV in the late 15th century.
The town lies on the banks of the Duero river, 80 km south of Burgos and 160 km north of Madrid. It's located at the junction of two important transport routes across Spain: A-1 running, north-south and N-122, running east-west.
Aranda is a business centre and also an industrial town whose historical quarter preserves the enchantment of other periods. From its rich architectural heritage we must highlight the 15th to 16th-century Isabelline-Gothic church of Santa María, the church of San Juan Bautista -where the Aranda Council was held in 1473- now became a sacred art museum, the Berdugo Palace (15th century), the Jurisdictional Roll, the Virgen de las Viñas sanctuary (17th century) and the Romanesque bridge.
Due to a privileged location Aranda is the capital of the Ribera del Duero Wine Region, since its climate favours the production of such precious beverage. The village, whose history and ethnography define its relationship to wine, has over 5 km of wine cellars galleries (a urban link of the 15th century) interconnected below the town centre streets.
It is a very wellkown town for its wine and varied gastronomy, especially the roast sucking lamb served with a basic salad and lots of "torta" bread for dipping in the meat juices.